Bragg Creek and area is a mecca for horse lovers. Horses are permitted on acreages of 4 acres and over. The rule of thumb (and Rocky View County’s law) is one horse for every four acres. Horse ownership can be a daunting task – arranging for hay (the cost goes up and down like a yoyo), farrier bills, veterinary bills, cost of tack, etc. However, anyone who has ever owned a horse knows what a special joy it is. Nothing compares to riding a horse in the great outdoors and boy, do we have some of the best riding in the world right at our fingertips!
Kananaskis County was developed for hikers, horseback riding, cross country skiing and biking. The staging area is eight kilometers west of Bragg Creek, the gateway to Kananaskis. For horse enthusiasts, riding in Kananaskis country is nothing short of spectacular. You can take daily rides, and explore the hundreds of miles of maintained trails or bushwhack and make your own trail. For the more adventurous, you can packhorse in for overnight camping. Nothing beats sitting around a fire, your dog at your feet and your horse tethered a few feet away – pure bliss!
On your rides, you’ll experience pristine streams and lakes, incredible valley views second to none, all the while humbled by the site of the surrounding Rockies.
Bragg Creek is also a short distance (approximately 30 kilometers west on Highway 66) to the Little Elbow Equestrian Centre and the same distance to the Mesa Butte Equestrian Centre. These camps are set up for overnight camping for horses and riders. There are corrals for the horses and camping stalls for tents, campers, trailers and motor homes. You can set up base and head out early every morning and be back at night to enjoy the comfort of your home away from home.
For those who don’t own their own horse, there a number of companies that provide riding by the hour, day or week. Check out local businesses specializing in outdoor adventures, including horseback riding, here.
Horseback riding is an incredible way to see and experience the beauty of Kananaskis – try the challenge!
- Is time passing you by? The very best of every season is here in Bragg Creek Shop, dine, play then stay! We have it all, from kids activities to wildlife to adult quiet time away from the hussle and bussle of city life
- Nature is closer than you think, just 30 minutes from Calgary! Mountains, meadows blossoming with Alpine flowers, Bragg Creek has it all! Drop in, play, then stay... your time here will refresh and enliven you
- Art: defn. n. The quality or expression of what is beautiful Bragg Creek is known as an artists’ haven, surrounded by so much beauty and natural Canadian wildlife and culture. It’s easy to be inspired here
- Winter brings stillness ... and festivals to our community! Check out our winter activities when the temperatures plummet, and be sure to come see the reindeer and other festivities around December!
- Western hospitality with international flare and worldwide renown Wander here among stores that showcase the best of local art to unusual trinkets from the world over
- Craving a new flavour? From burgers and wings to haute cuisine, Bragg Creek has it all. Let us delight you with local specialities, service that is always smiling, and the best chefs in Alberta. We’re known for our food for a reason
- A clear river flows with pure water from the Rocky Mountains. Dip your toe in! On hot days, just 30 minutes from Calgary, surround yourself with the best the Rockies can offer: pure water, kind hospitality and so many exciting things to do