Bragg Creek is named after Albert Warren Bragg from Collingwood, Nova Scotia and his 14 year old brother John Thomas who homesteaded in the area from 1885. Fire had stripped the land of trees leaving verdant open land particularly suited to ranching. However very few of the settlers remained for long; it was a beautiful and unspoiled area but isolation made life difficult particularly through the winter months.
For the white people who remained, trade with the Stoney Indians (also known as the Nakoda First Nation) was an important part of life. Beaded clothing and furs were exchanged. The Bragg Creek Trading Post on White Avenue stands on the site of the original trading post.
- Is time passing you by? The very best of every season is here in Bragg Creek Shop, dine, play then stay! We have it all, from kids activities to wildlife to adult quiet time away from the hussle and bussle of city life
- Nature is closer than you think, just 30 minutes from Calgary! Mountains, meadows blossoming with Alpine flowers, Bragg Creek has it all! Drop in, play, then stay... your time here will refresh and enliven you
- Art: defn. n. The quality or expression of what is beautiful Bragg Creek is known as an artists’ haven, surrounded by so much beauty and natural Canadian wildlife and culture. It’s easy to be inspired here
- Winter brings stillness ... and festivals to our community! Check out our winter activities when the temperatures plummet, and be sure to come see the reindeer and other festivities around December!
- Western hospitality with international flare and worldwide renown Wander here among stores that showcase the best of local art to unusual trinkets from the world over
- Craving a new flavour? From burgers and wings to haute cuisine, Bragg Creek has it all. Let us delight you with local specialities, service that is always smiling, and the best chefs in Alberta. We’re known for our food for a reason
- A clear river flows with pure water from the Rocky Mountains. Dip your toe in! On hot days, just 30 minutes from Calgary, surround yourself with the best the Rockies can offer: pure water, kind hospitality and so many exciting things to do